Last amended 2 June 2016
We are Showt Limited (Ireland) with registered offices in Ireland with company number 557453 and registered office 1 Stokes Place, St. Stephen's Green, Dublin 2, D02 DE03 (“we,” “us” and “our”).
At Showt, our goal to provide our users with the world’s best content sharing and voting platform.
1. Showt Privacy Principles
When you use our services, we understand that you trust us to keep the personal information that we collect and process secure and safe. We have adopted the following eight Showt Privacy Principles, which guide our approach to how we use your personal information:
1. We want to be upfront and transparent about the ways in which we use personal information.
2. We do not collect personal information that we don’t need.
3. We do not sell your personal information.
4. We only keep personal information for as long as is necessary and then we delete it.
5. We delete personal information when you request in writing (unless law requires us to keep it).
6. We implement appropriate security measures to keep personal information safe and secure.
7. We will not send you marketing email or communications without your consent.
8. We adopt a “privacy by design” philosophy. In other words, privacy influences how we think about and build our products.
2. What information do we collect and process?
We collect and process the following types of information: (collectively known as “Service Data”)
· information you provide to us through the services; and
· information collected by our services or mobile applications.
We collect data you expressly provide, for example, any information you provide when you register an account. You can elect to register an account on our services, which will enable you to enjoy our full service offering. Alternatively, you can browse and use certain features of our services without registering an account.
If you register an account, you will be asked to provide us with certain personal information, such as your name, email address, gender and date of birth. However, entering you gender and date of birth is optional. Additional fields may be added to the registration form in future as our service evolves, however, mandatory and optional fields will always be clearly marked. When we request information from you we will always tell you why we need it and, if the information if optional, offer you the choice not to provide it.
We also collect any posts, polls, messages, lists and any other information or interaction of yours with or involving our services.
Information collected by our services or mobile applications
When you use the internet it is standard practice and normal for certain information to be sent from your device to the server that you are accessing. This enables your device and that server to communicate with one another. Our services use this same basic functionality. In other words, we collect and generate certain personal information which arises out of your usage of the services but may not be deliberately provided by you, or information which is automatically sent to us when you interact with our services or visit our website and mobile app. This includes information about how you use our services, your IP (internet protocol) address, other device-identifying data, browser information and the web pages that you have requested on our website. This will typically tell us the date and time of your visit to our services, your choice of ISP (internet service provider) and your geographic location.
We may also track and compile information with respect to your general usage of our services on a non-personally identifiable basis. We will only use this information internally for the purpose of understanding how our services are being used and how to improve them.
3. How do we use the information we collect?
We process Service Data:
· To provide and administer our services – we may use Service Data to create your account, deliver our services and process interactions between you and other users. For example, we may use your voting patterns to recommend other content to you for you to vote upon and we may personalize your repeat visits to our services. We may also use the technical information we receive to identify and correct issues and errors with our services.
· To contact you – we may use your contact details to contact you to provide details of announcements about our services or functionality changes relating to our services. We reserve the right to contact you in connection to service related issues or general updates. We may also use your contact details to contact you to provide promotional messages (with your permission and in accordance with applicable laws). Promotional messages may relate to our services or those of our trusted and handpicked partners. We will give you the option to opt-in to any promotional messages.
· To improve our services – Service Data provides us with insights into how our services are used. We may use Service Data to help us understand what features and functionality our users like and dislike. This allows us to continually improve our existing products, to create new ones, and to provide you with a better end user experience. This may involve providing you with customised content or options.
· For security purposes and fraud prevention purposes – we may use Service Data to keep our systems and users safe. For example, we may analyse it to identify potential cases of fraud or voting manipulation, or to verify that your account is not being used by others.
4. What information do we share?
We keep your information private and we don’t sell your personal information. However, in the following limited circumstances we may be required to share your information with third parties:
· With your consent - We will share your information with a third party in circumstances where you provided you consent. For example, if you ask us to use your email or telephone number to contact you for promotional messages and advertising.
· With our service providers - To a limited extent, we may share personal information with our trusted service providers, particularly where this is necessary to provide our services to you. These service providers will be subject to non-disclosure obligations and are required to keep your personal information safe and secure.
· Business transitions - On or in anticipation of the acquisition of our company and/or all or part of its assets, your personal information may be transferred to our new owner. This may assist you to enjoy continuity of service.
We may share anonymous information for site administration, analytics, advertising and promotional purposes. For example, we may share anonymous information on the number of Showts on a particular subject matter or anonymous demographic information on the number of visitors from a geographic region. We may share this information with our affiliates, agents, service providers and current and prospective business partners for such purposes. We may also aggregate data to enable research or analysis so that we can better understand and serve you and others. Although this aggregated data may be based in part on personal information, it will not personally identify you.
You should note that there are a number of third party cookies on our website and mobile applications. Third parties may directly obtain information through these tools. Additional information is provided in our Showt Cookies Policy.
5. How long do we keep information?
We keep personal data for so long as is necessary given the purpose for which it was originally collected or lawfully further processed.
If you have signed up to a Showt account, we generally store your Service Data for the duration of your account with us. We do this to provide you with our services.
We allow you to delete your account at any time by either sending us an email or sending us a request through our website or mobile app. It generally takes us about 30 days to delete fully your personal information from the date we receive your written request.
We may retain personal information for a longer period of time if we are required to do so by law.
6. How do we keep information secure?
While we take these steps to maintain the security of your information, you should be aware of the many information security risks that exist and take appropriate care to help safeguard your information. Whenever you give out personal information online, that information can be collected and used by people you don’t know. We cannot guarantee the security of any information you disclose online and you make such disclosures at your own risk.
The nature of the internet means that we cannot guarantee the security of the information you transmit to us electronically, and any transmission is at your own risk. We deploy appropriate technical and organisational security measures in the storage and disclosure of your personal data to try to prevent unauthorised access or loss.
7. Complying with Showt terms
8. Your rights
We operate in accordance with European (EU) and Irish data protection law, including, in particular, the rules set out in the Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003. You enjoy a number of rights under data protection law. These include the right to access, and in some circumstances to amend and delete, your personal information.
You can access, amend or delete much of your personal information and delete your account by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by sending us a request through of our website or mobile app.
If you have any questions about your rights please email us at email@example.com.
9. Where do we store personal information?
We are a global business and, as such, we have operations and hosting centres in various locations around the world. Where practical, we will process and store your personal information in a location close to where you are based.
By using our services, you are permitting and consenting to the processing and transfer of your personal information outside of your country and/or region.
If you a highly mobile user who moves location regularly, we will define your ‘home’ geographic location according to the information you supply to us in your account details (if provided) and orientate our service delivery with consideration to this location.
11. Contacting us